RE: Alternatives drafts for SUBMITTER identity

2004-09-27 16:56:35

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Jim Lyon wrote:

William,

Regarding draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00, please pick a name
other than SUBMITTER for the SMTP extension and parameter.  It will be a
real mess if we have two competing documents specifying different
definitions for the same extension.

1. Its actually quite easy to make marid-submitter draft to be
   compatible with my responsible-submitter draft. Major thing
   that is necessary is to require double-checking on if SUBMITTER
   value is same as your PRA (derived from headers) ONLY IF there
   is spf2.0/pra policy record available for domain part of SUBMITTER.
   In such a case, you can assume that known that on his network all
   servers that use SUBMITTER also comply with Sender ID and added
   whatever headers you like, where as if they published spf2.0/submit
   scope records you can assume they might not have done so.

   The only other issue of some importance is that in my
   responsible-submitter draft, the recomendation for smtp proxy
   servers (as in hotel "Guest E-Mail Service" example) is to add
   Sender header where as in marid-submitter it said that Resent-From
   is to be used. For all other cases I conviniently avoided specifying
   what exactly are supposed to be headers added (although you'll
   see a definitive recomendation about that in my next draft).

2. As per above my recomendation in regards to resolving difference
   between marid-submitter and responsible-submitter is to have you
   rewrite your concept to reference responsible-submitter instead
   of marid-submitter. You can do it by rewriting new core+PRA
   draft so that it requires checking of RFC2822 headers PRA value
   only if SPF2.0/pra policy record is published. In such case you
   can write also that such PRA MUST be equivalent to SUBMITTER when
   it is present during SMTP session and make recomendation for MTAs
   to verify SUBMITTER parameter value based on either SPF2.0/pra or
   SPF2.0/submit policy record during SMTP session.

   Basicly what I'm asking is for you to consider rewrite of
   Sender ID concept where it references submitter-draft instead of
   submitter referencing marid-core and pra. Both are equivalent
   ways of doing the same concept and should be able to coexist.

3. Unless you make changes to SenderID drafts as I recommended above,
   I would have absolutly no problem in giving IETF directorate and
   implementors a choice between what they want to accept and use:
   - an encoumbered solution that is based upon incorrect use of existing
     RFC2822 concepts and has IPR requirement that does not allow to be
     used in open-source SMTP servers  OR
   - a solution that is entirely within RFC2821 framework and does not
     break existing SMTP standards and does not have patent problems
     (as long as we assume that SPF classic which is also RFC2821 does
      not have have similar patent issues)

---
William Leibzon, Elan Networks:
 mailto: william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net
Anti-Spam and Email Security Research Worksite:
 http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/