Alternatives drafts for SUBMITTER identity

2004-09-27 11:19:53

Hello,

As I have mentioned I have worked on alternatives draft for SUBMITTER concept.
It actually ended up being two alternatives. When I originally started I
was working on it based on certain assumptions of what would be covered
by Microsoft pending patent and these assumptions are proven to be wrong
(they either covered less or they covered more then I expected based on
whoever is interpreting it).

So based partially on some assumptions, I worked on draft that introduces
new concept of email networks and uses Responsible Submitter identity to
identify email message passing between different networks. In this concept
submitter is represented by both RFC2821 SUBMITTER and by RFC2822
Submitted-By header. I descirbed summary of this concept in:
 http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04726.html
The end result I'm not entirely too happy with - it ended up being too
complex and it appears proper combination of RFC2821 and RFC2822 is
actually quite difficult to achieve. I'll most likely not be submitting
this draft unless there is an interest on this concept from others in the
community. The draft is 30 pages long (70% new text) and available at:

http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/draft-leibzon-email-networks-submitter-00.txt

For second draft which I started working on about week ago, I have focused
on SUBMITTER as being only RFC2821 identity (in the next message I'll
mention how I propose to bring this data into RFC2822 headers, but that
is separate concept not entirely based on SUBMITTER). The draft is
primarily  combination of original SUBMITTER with some text from
marid-core draft and with description on SPF verification for "submit"
scope/identity. The draft is 18 pages and represents about 30% new text
and ended up  being a lot better then the first one, so I intend to send
it to RFC-editor for publication and for consideration by the directorate
(that is to be formed to determine future of MARID documents) as alternative
to original MARID submitter encoumbered by requirement of Microsoft PRA.

The draft is included with this text and is also available at

http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00.txt
With PDF version available at

http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00.pdf

Please review this text and send me your comments on this draft by Monday
October 4th as that is when I intend to send it to RFC-editor. And If
original authors of MARID SUBMITTER draft want to work further on this,
I'd be more then happy to give the draft to them as input for new document
assuming they agree with me to keep it completely separated from PRA.

---
William Leibzon, Elan Networks:
 mailto: william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net
Anti-Spam Research Worksite: