Re: People issues

2004-11-20 18:38:20

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 21:13, Greg Connor wrote:
Thanks Doug.  Good information.  I do hope the IETF continues to work on
the issues MARID tried to address.

--Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

Here is an interesting presentation that predates MARID.  Of course I
have favorite slides, and could do better, but the topics covered
represent ongoing concerns.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/slides/plenary-3/

Greg,

You are welcome.  There were many things within this presentation that I
found showed insight.  I should have opened more threads, as example.
The last point, however, was perhaps the most salient.

"Know what problem you're solving."

Path Registration records are not a rigorous means for mailbox-domain
authentication.  Client authorization does not authenticate the source
as the mailbox-domain.  Such Path Registration schemes may
inappropriately place accountability upon some mailbox-domain, when the
accountable source is not authenticated, but is only authorized and
remains nameless.  Path Registration is not suitable for the purpose of
security, enforcement, or reputation assertion.

What specific issue was MARID trying to address?

-Doug