Re: A new SMTP "3821" [Re: FTC stuff...........]

2004-12-06 17:01:14

Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> wrote:
But to be pedantic, that's the whole *point* of MAIL FROM
checking: to know who is using your domain name in MAIL FROM, and to
control their use of that name.

Yes, I know that is "the point". However, this isn't possible.

  In theory or in practice?  If it's possible in theory, it's possible
in practice.  The only question then is whether the cost is acceptable.

  If it's not possible in theory, I'm curious to know why.

 Hence the conclusion that "SPF is breaking the mail system for no
good reason".

  So... am I to be permitted to control the use of my own domain name?
If not, why not?  If so, then I'm free to implement SPF, or anything
other scheme I like.

  Alan DeKok.