Re: "If you believe that the SPF concept is fundamentally flawed, please subscribe at http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/"

2005-05-26 11:55:15

In article <x4ll61oqi3(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)schlitt(_dot_)net>, wayne
<wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> writes

In <e+iUZLdwwflCFAb1(_at_)highwayman(_dot_)com> Richard Clayton
<richard(_at_)highwayman(_dot_)com>
writes:

Hence, since they still want to spam, they will start sending email with
borrowed domains from borrowed machines...  they are already doing the
latter, they don't do the former because there's currently no need.  SPF
would, if adopted, provide the evolutionary pressure for them to do so.

Of course you may feel that if fred(_at_)example(_dot_)com is so dumb as to
install
a spam-sending trojan that it serves him right if example.com gets a
really bad reputation. However, if I have a need to swap email with
example.com employees how exactly has SPF improved the situation here ?

example.com can quickly update their SPF record to remove the
offending IP address from their approved list.

fair enough -- but this is reactive and the reputation service will have
been complained to at the same time, possibly well before, example.com
learnt of the problem. The reputation of example.com (which apparently
SPF is going to allow me to judge) will still suffer.

or are you expecting the reputation not to be for example.com but for
each individual part of it...   if so then I'm still unclear what SPF is
bringing to the party here.

now consider where example.com is a large company (or an ISP) running a
small number of mail servers then (a) the action is NOT going to be to
change the SPF record but to revoke an authorisation and (b) it's even
more opaque as to how the reputation service can reflect that this has
been done or quite what SPF has contributed

once again, I don't mind SPF being promoted for what it will do, but
when it is argued that other things will flow from that then the
justification really doesn't seem to stand up.

I repeat my advice from another place to give up proselytising how SPF
will make a better world and just concentrate on a comprehensible,
interworkable standard that doesn't break anything else. If it then
turns out to have magical powers and cures cancer and stuff then that's
peachy. But its unnecessary to promote that up front.

- --
richard                     richard.clayton  @  h i g h w a y m a n . com

"Assembly of Japanese bicycle require great peace of mind" quoted in ZAMM