Re: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01.txt

2005-06-08 13:48:57

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Alan DeKok wrote:
  In fact, you're wrong.  The packets in question originated from MY
machine.  I know this, you don't.

Lets stick to the facts that were posted in 2002, so that you don't change
the facts as we go along.  If your description of facts in 2002 was
insufficient, then I am fully justified in not believing you, and drawing
conclusions from the facts you presented, regardless of what the actual
god-known truth of the matter is.

You didn't indicate that your machine was sending this traffic on your web
page, in 2002.  You just indicated that they claimed to have received
packets, and that you convinced them to send logs.  That fact that you
would need to convince them to send logs suggests you denied their claims
that you were sending these packets.  Otherwise, why would you want their
logs?

Your logic fails:  Recieving an ICMP port unreachable doesn't imply the
four things you listed:

Even worse, there have been a consistent trickle of complete shithead
messages from alleged "sysadmins", saying "Your machine is attacking me!"
When they're convinced to send firewall logs, they send logs which show
them receiving 1000's of ICMP port unreachable messages. This says a few
things:

1. Their firewall is misconfigured. (Blocking ICMP's is wrong.)
2. They're trying to send me spam, and complaining when they can't.
3. They don't understand how networks work, or how to set up their
machines.
4. Words cannot describe their incompetence.

In short, if you see your machine getting hammered by ICMP packets from
this IP, it means you have to fix your system. Don't call me. Don't call
my ISP. Don't make stupid threats about me trying to "hack" into your
machines. If you do, then I will call the FBI (or whatever government body
is intimidating to you), and inform them that you are a criminal hacker.
They will believe me, not you.

None of what you claim follows from the fact they got ICMP unreachables.

You'll tell the FBI they are criminal hackers?  The FBI will believe you,
not them?

                --Dean

617 344 9000