Re: [spf-help] Re: SPF and SenderID

2005-06-15 09:04:14

In <7ae58c220506150811272e8b73(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com> Michael Hammer
<dotzero(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

This also begs the question of who controls the SPF record format. Can
anyone come up with their own mechanisms willy-nilly? Does the SPF
Council control SPF? If not, who does? What about spf3.x and forward?

By submitting the SPF and SID drafts to the IETF, all of us have
accepted that the IETF has a great deal of control over the spec.  The
IESG has said that, in order to be fair to SID and not show favoritism
to SPF, both the SPF and SID drafts can say whatever they want about
the use of SPFv1 records and that the SPF draft will be held back
until the SID drafts are ready.  Also, in order to be fair to SID, the
IESG is discounting the 1.5 years of deployment experience with SPF so
that both SPF and SID can start collecting deployment information now.
OK, I can't start collecting data now, because the IESG refuses to
tell me what kind of data they want to see.  I'm sure this is to be
fair to SID.

Yes, the IESG is being very even handed and fair.

</heavy sarcasm>

For a slightly more realistic/accurate view of what the IESG actually
said, see: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.council/312

-wayne