Re: Appeal: Publication of draft-lyon-senderid-core-01 in conflict with referenced draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02

2005-08-25 12:13:22

In any case, I support this appeal to the extent that I believe the conflicts
need to be resolved prior to publication. I take no position on the means
by which the conflict is resolved as long as a resolution is reached.

All of this raises the obvious question of the purpose in having the IESG "approve" Experimental status. If the approval does not pertain to basic technical issues, such as known conflicts with other specifications, it is difficult to imagine any benefit in the approval process.

On the other hand, the fact of IESG "approval" for these two specifications has been richly touted as progress on the standards track. Given how sensitive the IETF community is about misrepresentation of its actions and labels, we should make sure that the value-add of those actions is clear and real.

--

  d/

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking