Re: Trouble with Sender Authentication

2006-11-07 13:35:10
Douglas Otis wrote:
On Nov 6, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Julian Mehnle wrote:
Douglas Otis wrote:
In Dusseldorf, Julian and Ming received *constructive*
recommendations to allow record scoping, but this was ignored and
became the basis for Julian's ignored complaint made to the IESG.

Sorry to barge in on this particular topic (which is mostly
unrelated to the issues raised by K.J. Petrie or the alleged DoS
issue), but this ain't correct.  The v=spf1/pra re-use issue was
indeed discussed at the MAAWG meeting in Düsseldorf.  I'm not sure
what you mean when you say that "allowing record scoping" was
proposed, but what was actually proposed were two different things
(depending on whom I talked to):

 A. Accept the v=spf1/pra re-use and start promoting v=spf1 as
    having a different meaning than what had been defined back in 2003.

 B. Abandon v=spf1 entirely in favor of spf2.0 (or some completely
    different) scheme in order to avoid the misinterpretation of
    v=spf1 records for PRA purposes.

It seems v=spf1/pra will be more disruptive than spf2.0/mailfrom?

If you mean that the interpretation of v=spf1 for the PRA scope would be
more disruptive than recommending that everyone publish spf2.0 (essen-
tially what B says) instead of v=spf1, then, yes, I'd agree.

What is your view about forcing use of different scripts?

I don't understand what you're suggesting here.  What do you mean by
"forcing use of different scripts"?