Re: Trouble with Sender Authentication

2006-11-09 18:33:04
Dean Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Greg Hewgill wrote:
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 02:34:29PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
Most of this isn't commercial, either. Commercial bulk email is no
longer a problem.

Is that right? Virtually all the spam I see relates to pharmacy,
stock, mortgage, pirated software, or are email worms. The whole idea
of each of those are to make money for somebody. I don't even know
what "non-commercial spam" would look like today.

Tried purchasing anything?  I have.  I opened a bank account just for a
special credit card.  But it was never charged. If money changed hands,
I figured it would be easy to find them. No money ever changed hands,
even though, ostensibly, the spam _looks_ commercial. But wait, if no
money changes hands, it isn't commercial, no matter what it _looks_
like.

And this specific experiment of yours is representative exactly _how_?

If money never changes hands, how come the SPF support team gets support
requests like the following?

| Topic: Support request
| Name: M* P*
|
| My e-mail at Mp*(_at_)*(_dot_)net is not compatible somehow with you recieving
| messages.  Please use my alternate e-mail address at
m*p*(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com(_dot_)  My
| question is-where are the meds I ordered?  Payment has been deducted from
| my bank account, but I have recieved no meds.  Thankyou for your

(Yes, I had a good laugh when reading that.)

Oh, right, next you're going to claim that this was a legitimate buying
transaction with a non-spammer, not some poor bastard falling for a
spamming fraudster (before then also tripping over an SPF policy
violation).

Sorry for having barged in once more, but I found your argument too funny
not to comment on it...