Re: terminology

1997-08-06 14:35:51
Folks, I've also been around since Baudot days, and am familiar with at
least some of the different sized historic bytes.  That's why I think we
should specifically define the meaning in a terminology section.

As opposed to the 9 in 36 mentioned, another of the byte sizes is 6 in 36
and 6 in 60 for the CDC 3000 and 6000 series respectively.

I used octet throughout PPP specifications, to be least confusing to
folks reading ISO, CCITT and IETF documents in parallel.

I use byte in other venues.  In any case, the terms should be well
defined, and cognizant of the intended reader.

The problem that I raised was that _both_ byte and octet are used in the
same document.  Pick one.  Be consistent and readable.  Thank you.

WSimpson(_at_)UMich(_dot_)edu
BSimpson(_at_)MorningStar(_dot_)com