Modular algorithms in PGP 5.0 (was Re: PGP Message Exchange Formats Internet Draft)

1997-08-08 12:04:24
Umm, I'm not sure what code you've seen, but if you look in
lib/pgp/crypt/cipher.c(*) and lib/pgp/crypt/hash.c(*), you will find
functions like "pgpGetCipherByNumber()", "pgpGetCipherByName()",
"pgpGetHashByNumber()", and "pgpGetHashByName()".  These could
_EASILY_ be re-implemented as dlopen() calls.

-dere

(*) These files are from a VERY old source code tree, circa October
1996.  The file names and function names may have changed between then
and now.  YMMV.

tzeruch(_at_)ceddec(_dot_)com writes:

But before this goes off on a tangent, PGP 5.0 (at least the source
code I have seen) isn't modular in the sense of having a dlopen(alg) call,
and I, for one, would not like to see 1,000 algorithms defined because no
two implementations would work together, or the program would need to be
larger than most hard drives.

This issue itself should limit the number of algorithms to 256 or less.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---

       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available