RE: Principles and Principals

1997-09-24 08:30:11

-----Original Message-----
From:   Bonatti Chris [SMTP:bonattic(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com]
Sent:   Tuesday, September 23, 1997 4:51 PM
To:     Ian Brown
Cc:     ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject:        Re: Principles and Principals

[>>]  snip........
Unless I misunderstand you, the e-mail address is not then bound
into the certificate structure.  I'm reading out of what
your last couple of messages that we would submit the e-mail
address as an submission argument to the keyserver, but that
this would be absent from the certificate.  This is pretty weak
in the sense that it is dirt simple for a black-hat to assert a
bogus e-mail address (or worse usurp a real one) and provide his
own black-hat key ID.  This leaves open a lot of possibilities
for misuse.

I agree with the above. The email address must be tightly bound in the cert so
that spoofing is not possible.

regards, rik[>>]