Re: KeyIDs and Key Fingerprints

1997-10-17 04:23:36
At 5:57 PM -0700 10/16/97, Tom Phinney wrote:
BTW, the PGP 5.0 practice of not identifying which key has been received makes
guessing the appropriate passphrase a real PITA.  I use common passphrases for
same-length keys (RSA or DSS/EG), but different passphrases for different
lengths, and each nym has its own distinct passphrase (a second-line of
protection against my confusing my nyms, each of which has a distinct
purpose).

Fixed in 5.5.  All sorts of issues like this were fixed in 5.5 -- one of
those noted earlier by Jon of seeing who else can read a received message.
The reason 5.0 did this was because we were using an absolutely horrendous
API between our library code and client code.  The API was burnt at the
stake in a bloody caveman-like ritual shortly after 5.0 and replaced with a
beautiful new API that is part of our SDK.

-Will

Will Price, Architect/Sr. Mgr.
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.
555 Twin Dolphin Dr, Ste.570
Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Direct (650)596-1956
Main   (650)572-0430
Fax    (650)631-1033
Pager  (310)247-6595
wprice(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com
Internet Text Paging: <mailto:1333485(_at_)roam(_dot_)pagemart(_dot_)net>
<pgpfone://clotho.pgp.com>
<http://www.pgp.com>

PGPkey: <http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5797A80B>