Re: KeyIDs and Key Fingerprints

1997-10-20 13:05:18
In <slrn64mlhh(_dot_)l9(_dot_)lutz(_at_)taranis(_dot_)iks-jena(_dot_)de>, on
10/20/97
   at 01, lutz(_at_)taranis(_dot_)iks-jena(_dot_)de (Lutz Donnerhacke) said:

* Hal Finney wrote:
Phil Zimmermann has suggested that we generalize the keyID concept
to allow it to be variable length.  Rather than fixing it as a 64 bit

Not necessary. The new draft defines the key ID to not unique. That's
enough.

Well I think we should have had some disscussion on this. This really
plays havok on keyring lookups & management if keyID is nolonger unique.
If this is the tact to be taken then we should look at the encrypt & sig
packets and find a unique identifier to use with them perhaps just put the
whole fingerprint there. Without a unique identifyer there will be a
marked decrease of performance in PGP operations in areas where PGP
performance is poor to begin with.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html