Re: Armor versus MIME versus binary

1997-10-25 00:46:24
At 3:45 AM -0500 10/24/97, William H. Geiger III wrote:

The term "packet" is used by the Ascii Armor and well known to the
public. Should we exchange it?

The term "packet" is a well known and well defined in the PGP comunity. I
see no reason for changing this now. I see little chance of a PGP "packet"
and a network "packet" being confused for one or another as we are
describing document formats here not network protocols.

My feelings exactly.   We've been talking about PGP "packets" since PGP 1.0
6+ years ago.  The meaning and context are clear.

john  w noerenberg, ii
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
pager: jwn2(_at_)pager(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
  "A beautiful idea has a much greater chance of being a correct idea
   than an ugly one."
 -- Roger Penrose, "The Emperor's New Mind", 1989