Re: expedience, consensus and editing

1997-12-03 19:44:22
On 27 Nov 1997, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:

2) MIME as MAY/SHOULD/MUST?

Has nothing to do with OpenPGP. OpenPGP deals with the application layer not
with the presentation layer MIME is for. Same goes for Ascii Armor.

The WG charter specifically mentions MIME, and I thought we were working
on an e-mail spec.  From that point of view, future impementations are
going to need to interoperate with MIME.

So I'd definitely say MUST for MIME (for e-mail applications) and SHOULD
for Armor (to be reduced to MAY in v2).

3) 32 bit int clean up shelved for OpenPGPv2, or discussed now

32bit is an unnecessary restriction. (640k are enough for everybody!)

It's an increase from the current hacked bit format, from what's been
posted here.  Shelved for v2 is my vote.

4) CMR/ARR and alternatives worked through now or shelved for OpenPGPv2,

Drop it completely but mark the subsignature ID as in use.

It must be mentioned for proper handling of the critical bit.  Mark it as
used for a proprietary (PGP Inc.) signature addition that can be ignored
if not supported.

Ryan Anderson - Alpha Geek
PGP fp: 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9
print pack"C*",split/\D+/,`echo "16iII*o\U(_at_){$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<>