Re: section 4.3

1997-12-31 11:52:11

In
<199712311642(_dot_)IAA05720(_at_)s20(_dot_)term1(_dot_)sb(_dot_)rain(_dot_)org>,
 on 12/31/97
   at 08:42 AM, Hal Finney <hal(_at_)rain(_dot_)org> said:

We have not attempted to give detailed explanations of the intented uses
or motivations of any of the features in the spec.  The spec simply
defines the syntax and semantics.  There have been suggestions that we
need a companion document to define rationale for the various features,
which could be a follow-on project.  It seems to me though that almost
every section of the spec deserves a page or more describing the
motivations, the purpose, security considerations, things to watch for,
etc.  So a rationale doc would probably considerably larger than the
spec, and its creation will be a large project.

Well I have been working on a document for outlining the implementation of
the OpenPGP spec to messaging systems. I have around 35 pages written so
far and I am no where close to being done. Much of the info in the
document comes from my own experince of integrating PGP into messageing
systems over the past couple of years.

Below is an outline of the document:

Contents:
=========

I       Inbound Processing
 a              Encrypted Messages
 b              Signed Messages
 c              Attached Keys
 d              Message Stamping
II      Outbound Processing
 a              Auto Signing
 b              Auto Encryption
 c           WordWrap
III     User Interaction
 a              Key Lookups
 b              Signing
 c              Encrypting
 d              Attaching Keys
 e              Decrypting
 f              Verifying Signatures
 g              Removing Signatures
 h              Detaching Keys
IV      Key Generation
V       Key Management
 a              KeyRing Indexing
 b              Key Lookups
 c              KeyServer Interaction
 d              Multiple Keyring Support
 e              Key Caching
VI      Remote Processing
 a              Signature Verification
 b              Message Encryption
 c              Policy Enforcement
VII     3rd Party Services
 a              Time Stamping Services
 b              Notary Services
 c              Certifying Authorities (CA's)
Appendix A      References
Appendix B      Glossary
Appendix C      Example Code

- --