Re: Proposed Extensions to TLS for OpenPGP

1997-12-31 16:55:01
Some companies will undoubtedly never bring themselves to implementing one
of the above systems and will thus be relegated to snake oil security
internationally until the laws in the US change.
I think it's unreasonable to say that 40 bit crypto is "snake oil".
It's exactly as strong as advertised. There's no secret about the
situation.

Yes, and quite useless.  Were one to map the security claims of 40-bit crypto
to the drug industry, I would surprised if the product would merit anything
more than a symptom reliever status.

Let's not infect our protocols with such politics.  TLS 1.0 is a done deal
as far as I'm concerned.  SSL3 had export algorithms, so TLS1 does too,
fine.  There are now many better solutions to the export problem,
Perhaps, but you haven't suggested any.

Yes he has, your're just not accepting them.

--Steve