Re: On my HAVAL implementation

1998-04-03 19:49:59
On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Jon Callas wrote:

At 03:41 PM 3/30/98 -0300, Paulo Barreto wrote:

I'm a little concerned about this. It is my understanding of copyright law
that one can copyright an *implementation* but not an algorithm. I wrote
Dr. Zheng, and he gave me permission to put it in OpenPGP. However, I am
still concerned about putting in an algorithm that someone claims
"copyright" on. Furthermore, we need an OID for it.

1. I would get a clarification that it would be something like GPL, i.e.
no restriction on incorporation or distribution if we put it in, or
something like "No restrictions on use in OpenPGP implementations".

2. You don't need an OID to use it with DSS, only RSA and El Gamal, and
currently I say the OID is length zero, but have some appropriate
constants which will never get in.

3. Even if you leave in a placeholder, at least it would help to define
the rounds and length of the hash.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---