Re: Subject: Re: Legal issues in implementing OpenPGP

1998-05-05 15:34:06
----------
From: Paulo Barreto <paulo(_dot_)barreto(_at_)unitools(_dot_)com(_dot_)br>
To: Rich Ankney <rankney(_at_)erols(_dot_)com>;
ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Legal issues in implementing OpenPGP
Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 3:39 PM

At 01:00 PM 98/05/05 -0400, Rich Ankney wrote:

Hitachi claims to have a patent covering SHA1.

This seems rather odd.  Is it on a particular hardware implementation
of SHA1?  Do you have a patent number for this?

No, but you could look up the IBM patent server.  The Hitachi patent was
mentioned in a thread of the P1363 discussion list.  I'll notify you if I
discover the patent number and/or its exact claims.

I don't think it ever went to court, but no one seems to be getting sued
for using DSA...

So it was settled before going to court; someone (possibly Schnorr
himself,
but I'm not sure) did raise the issue of patent coverage
(unsuccessfully).

I don't think there was ever any lawsuit (i.e. RSADSI never sued
anyone).  So I wouldn't say it is settled yet.  OTOH, in te US,
Schnorr is claiming infringement on a dependent claim (vs. an
independent claim), which seems a little weak.  Of course
IANAL.

ECDSA in particular is not patented.  Certicom has patented various
hardware tricks to implement EC over GF(2^m).  Certicom also has
a patent on the MQV variant of Diffie-Hellman which can be used over
EC, but has granted a royalty-free license for its use.

I wouldn't be so sure about this.  A fully compliant implementation must
support point compression, and Certicom has filed a patent on this.

As for the royalty-free license, Don Johnson of Certicom sent me personal
mail saying that there is a "small" fee to be paid for the set of
Certicom
patents (one dollar per copy of the product using any of them).  This
includes the MQV scheme.

This is a change from what I thought I heard.  Oh well.

Cheers,

Paulo barreto.

Thanks,
Rich