Re: Proposed reason-for-revocation subpacket

1998-06-01 11:31:22
At 11:57 PM 5/29/98 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:

   Null-terminating the string would be a nice touch; it's not necessary,
   since there's a length field, but it would probably reduce accidents,
   and it also makes it convenient for tools such as "strings" to find.

Bill, I didn't mean to ignore your comment in my comment I just sent.
Obviously, I needed another cup of coffee this morning. How nice is it to
make it null-terminated?

With counted strings, someone has to go and terminate them anyway, and the
only place where a null-terminated string is specified in the whole draft
is in the regular expression subpacket (and I don't know why it's there).

When I put on my developer's hat, I look at it and think that I'd write to
code to look at the length of the subpacket, and if it's greater than 1,
then I have text. If the string is null-terminated, how do I handle the
bizarre case of a specified comment that is a null string? Do I treat it
the same as no specified string, or as a blank comment? There's an easy
answer (treat it as no comment), but the question goes away if we just use
the count.

        Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  jon(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)