Re: Changing HAVAL definition.

1998-06-16 14:55:08
I don't like departing from the standard DigestInfo structure for some
hashes while keeping it for others.  It is inconsistent.

It is not difficult for a company to get a number assigned by the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.  You just fill out the entry form
at http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/iana/enterprise.pl, and wait a week.
It's free.

Once you have the assignment you can make your own subsidiary assignments.
We could define OIDs for Haval and any other hashes which need them.

PGP, Inc. was purchased by and is now a part of Network Associates, Inc.
NAI does not have an assigned number, but some of the other companies
which combined to form it do: McAfee, TIS, and Network General all
have assignments.

What I would recommend is that NAI get an assigned number, create a sub
tree specifically for OpenPGP related identifiers, and define OIDs for
any hashes we want to use which don't have them, within that sub tree.

Hal