Re: stream ciphers (Re: 128 bit block ciphers)

1998-07-01 16:53:45
Adam Back says:
Similarly to having to remember not to re-use IVs.

Ah, but you get "remembering" not to re-use IVs for free -- you just
use random ones, or for some block modes just non-repeating IVs.

True.

Using random offsets is impractical due to the performance penalty of
spinning the PRNG by 2^(IV size).

Also true - however limited offsets could be used more or less
safely with small-size plaintexts (say, up to a few KBytes)...

rc4-key-shedule( iv || s2k( passphrase ) )

A possibility. Would need more time to evaluate it...

It has a sort of precedent, so must (one presumes!) have been looked
at in that the export versions of SSL cipher suites with RC4
(RC4-40-RSA-MD5) use the construct...

(:-) So much the better.

Probably:     rc4-key-schedule ( s2k( iv || passphrase ) )
would be better as it uses the hash in the s2k for mixing rather than
relying partly on rc4 key schedule (which the rc4-key-schedule( iv ||
s2k (passphrase) does ).

Probably...

Ah, yes, I suspected you were thinking of SEAL in your earlier
comments on offsets :-) ... SEAL is more than a stream cipher, it is a
pseudo-random function family, so spinning to arbitrary points comes
for free with SEAL.  Very nice, agreed.  But that trick doesn't work
with RC4.

(:-( What can I say... But maybe, just maybe the idea can be [partially]
"ported"...
--
Regards,
Uri             uri(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com