Re: PGP/MIME interop testing: Very first steps towards a test suite.

2000-04-03 03:02:28
On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Thomas Roessler <roessler(_at_)guug(_dot_)de> wrote:
On 2000-03-31 15:47:56 -0800, Jon Callas wrote:

So, popping back to your questions, no, we have to have
binary mode signatures, or else PGP/MIME can't sign a
binary file cross-platform.

Beg your pardon?  What PGP/MIME does is converting binary
data to a canonical text representation which matches
MIME's and OpenPGP's idea of canonical text.  That is,
with PGP/MIME (or any other signature standard based on
RFC 1847), all you have to look at are signatures of
textual data.  MIME does the conversion for you.

Yes, and unless there are absolutely no inter-operability problems arising from the different modes of signing MIME messages, the openPGP/MIME draft should say "MUST use text-mode signatures", not "SHOULD NOT use binary-mode signatures" as I previously suggested.

--
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E  Ltd