Re: q re binding user id's and subkeys

2000-07-15 20:33:49
Hal,

At 08:11 AM 14/07/2000 -0700, hal(_at_)finney(_dot_)org wrote:

Erron writes:
> Regarding 5.5.1.1 and 5.5.1.2; I am having a problem trying to understand
> how one binds an encryption sub key to a particular user id and the top
> level signing key?

You can't.

<snip>

> By binding an encryption sub key to a primary signing key, you are binding
> it to multiple user id's (if multiple user id's exist), however if user id
> (a) wants to encrypt data using sub-key (b) and user id (b) wants to
> encrypt data using sub-key (a), where do you actually make the bind?

There is no way to express this in OpenPGP.

Would it be hard to express that in OpenPGP? Can a signature subkey be added that specifies the top level id that should be linked to the subkey? Accordingly, if the subkey is bound to all upper level id's (as is the case now) then the signature subkey would simply be left blank.

If this cannot be done then I would assume that if you want different encryption keys for various user id's /alias's, then you would have to create two separate private keyrings that use different signing keys as well...or can you do this somehow using the same signing key?

Regards

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.
Level 2, 45 Stirling Hwy