learning from history (was: Re: rfc2440bis-02 comments)

2001-01-08 05:19:45
At 5:53 pm +0900 2000-12-28, sen_ml(_at_)eccosys(_dot_)com wrote:
...  the points i wish to make are:

  -expiring keys from keyservers is not necessarily a bad idea -- at least
   your example does not convince me that we would be significantly worse
   off than the current situation.

Keys are dime-a-dozen: expiring them is economical. People, OTOH,
are valuable, so it's better to expire the keys, but not the people.

                                   i like Dave Del Torto's statement:
     Storing your key on a public keyserver is a privilege, not a right.
     If you can't do the most basic things to maintain it, you're not
     doing anyone any good, least of all yourself if you want people to
     use it.

You must also be EMPOWERED to do basic key maintenance on your public key. The people who might want to use your key may not not always be friendlies. Spammers are only the tip, albeit a sharply annoying one, of the iceberg. There are more dangerous threads being woven.

What we're really discussing is the building of standards that users will control or standards which will help control them. Keys are good for authentication, and can even protect identity (if the anonymix allows). But the uncontrolled, irresponsible use of powerful tools like the PGP trust model also makes keys great for traffic analysis and collecting rosters of cryptographically-bound dissidents. The structures are in place to collect names: are you implementing technology that makes that scale better?

Until we build ourselves total control over our keys' public attributes and visibility, we're not really being empowered by our crypto (possibly the opposite). It's hard to get the average user to unlearn things. Given the current key formats and the way keyservers work, not building full user control over all attributes of their own keys on servers amounts to a very bad habit to get the crypto user community into.

Let's keep in mind that we've been asked at a recent IETF plenary whether or not the IETF should support wiretapping technologies in standards. Those kinds of trial balloons are only the first at the nexus of human rights and security technology. Technologists have the opportunity now --not later-- to establish a positive direction with standards and implementations or hand the rudder over to corporations and politicians. Ignore this, and these one-way functions are going to double back and bite us on the *ss. If Oppenheimer or Einstein were alive today, they'd agree that we should luxuriate in this discussion now and improve the infrastructure ASAP.

Ask yourself why no major implementor has jumped on the Stealth bandwagon in the last 6+ years? Is the fact that RFC2440's speculative keyids remain unimplemented an indication of complacency in the crypto community?

Who's holding us back?

   dave

"The average age of the world's greatest democratic nations has been 200
 years ... from bondage to spiritual faith, from faith to great courage,
 from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to
 complacency, from complacency to selfishness, from selfishness to apathy,
 from apathy to dependency, and from dependency back again into bondage."
        -- Lord Macaulay (1857)