Re: PGP/MIME implementors: text mode vs. binary mode?

2001-02-13 14:48:45
Thomas Roessler <roessler(_at_)does-not-exist(_dot_)org> writes:

On 2001-02-13 15:14:28 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

    a) specify a canonicalization and require binary sigs.
       Unfortunately this invalidates a number of
       implementations that currently use text sigs.

    b) specify a canonicalization that matches text and allow
       either binary or text sigs.  Unfortunately this has the
       problem that RFC1991 and RFC2440 have different ideas
       of what should be included in a text-mode signature.

    c) Change the PGP/MIME canonicalization requirements to
       match RFC2440 text-mode.  This has the effect that
       wont be PGP/MIME compliant.

What precisely is the difference between b) and c) supposed to be? I
seem to be missing some point here.

Sorry, the difference between b and c is that in b I implied that
PGP/MIME use the RFC1991 canonicalization scheme, whereas in c I imply
using the RFC2440 canonicalization scheme.  I'm sorry I wasn't more
clear.

-derek
       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available