Re: Bellcore Attack

2001-03-22 01:03:21
* Jon Callas wrote:
The gist, as much as we know of it now is that they claim that they can
write into a V3 secret key (the PGP 2.6 format) in such a way as to force
you to make signatures that the attacker can then forge. We don't know the

That seems resonable: Modifying the least significant in the last crypted
secret key component can be used (in conjunction with the chipher feedback
mode) to determine the necessary checksum fooling PGP integrity checks. It
might be possible to extend this to v4 keys too.