Question

2001-03-22 16:26:45
[ Please Cc: me on messages, I am not on this list ]

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it, because I
have yet to locate a sufficient answer.

In the current PGP/MIME standard, it is specifically stated that
signatures are calculated after the application of the CTE. However,
RFC 2045 makes it clear that MTAs may re-encode bodies as necessary. The
way signatures are currently calculated, this operation (which is
perfectly valid under MIME) invalidates the signature. Can anyone
explain why this would be a desirable situation?

--
Taral <taral(_at_)taral(_dot_)net>
Please use PGP/GPG to send me mail.