Re: Question

2001-03-22 20:59:35
The multipart/security RFC (please excuse me for not spewing the
number) specifically forbids MIME agents from re-calcuating the
_INTERNAL_ CTE of a message.  You may change the CTE of a message for
transport, but you must revert to the original CTE before security
decapsulation.

In other words, sendmail may apply a radix64 to the message provided
that the receiving sendmail reverts the radix64 back to the original
form.  In other other words, multipart/security forbids the use of
this MIME feature.

-derek

Taral <taral(_at_)taral(_dot_)net> writes:

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

[ Please Cc: me on messages, I am not on this list ]

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it, because I
have yet to locate a sufficient answer.

In the current PGP/MIME standard, it is specifically stated that
signatures are calculated after the application of the CTE. However,
RFC 2045 makes it clear that MTAs may re-encode bodies as necessary. The
way signatures are currently calculated, this operation (which is
perfectly valid under MIME) invalidates the signature. Can anyone
explain why this would be a desirable situation?

--=20
Taral <taral(_at_)taral(_dot_)net>
Please use PGP/GPG to send me mail.
"Never ascribe to malice what can as easily be put down to stupidity."

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--

       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available