Re: Fw: [ietf-tls] using openpgp with tls

2002-01-17 10:24:05

Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:

You probably want to send along the keyID as well as the fingerprint.

Frankly, I suggested to drop the keyID because the few extra bytes for
a fingerprint are not an issue and it makes the code easier if we only
have to lookup by fingerprint.

Sure, it's redundant for v4 keys but it's required for v3 keys.

Most implementations can only lookup a key based on the keyID.  As a

Then they should be fixed. To lookup by keyID you have to calculate
the fingerprint anyway for v4 keys.  And there won't be many v3 keys
in use with TLS.

I don't think that's a reasonable assumption to make.  Worse, if you
have _ANY_ v3 keys then you need to ship the keyID.  Perhaps there is
some way that if keyID == lower_part(fingerprint) then we only send
the fingerprint, but send keyID if it's !=?

  Werner

-derek

       warlord(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU                        PGP key available