Re: Anybody know details about Schneier's "flaw"?

2002-08-15 19:13:42

I agree.  Increasing use of MDC is a better more direct
solution. (It's also a more robust solution -- how long until someone
manages to propogate the attack through compression -- it's not as if
compression were designed to prevent it.)

Also the attack for those who haven't read the paper is really
low-tech.  They're just observing that if you can ask someone to
decrypt a message you can use that to decrypt related messages.  So
you intentionally garble a message, and hope the user sends you the
garbled plaintext back to you to ask what went wrong.  The rest falls
out of the fact that if you garble a few bits of a ciphertext most of
the plaintext will still be intact.

So it's related to the earlier observation that unless a message is
signed you can undetectably (to PGP) garble it's contents.  This also
was hard to do if the message was compressed.  This was the motivation
for the MDC.

Adam