Re: Reference for "IETF name space"?

2002-11-02 05:41:00

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 06:01:01PM -0500, Michael Young wrote:

Section 5.2.3.16, Notation Data, explains that tags fall into one of two
name spaces: the "IETF name space" and a "user name space".

What IETF name space is this?  If it is the URN namespace for IETF
documents, described by RFC2648, how is it applied here?  If it's
something else, could someone provide me a reference?  Further,
could someone offer an example of a notation tag in the IETF space?

There is no (simple) mechanism to register new tags.  There is a
rationale statement for this at the head of the RFC, under "IESG
Note".  Basically, the idea is that there can be subtle interactions
with unrestricted extensions of the standard, so this is a way to
force proposed extensions to go through the WG process to get wider
consideration.

There are no notation tags in the IETF space yet.  However, a few
months ago, I pulled together a list of all notations used on keys on
the keyserver net.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, nobody used the user name
space.  By far the most common notation used (87%) was "COMMENT".

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw(_at_)jabberwocky(_dot_)com  |  WWW
http://www.jabberwocky.com/