Re: Reference for "IETF name space"?

2002-11-13 03:40:24

On 2002-11-04 11:01:23 -0500, Michael Young wrote:

I see... I had interpreted the "IETF name space" as an existing syntax defined by IETF, something like the DNS name space or the ASN/OID name space. David interprets it as a OpenPGP-specific name space, with no specific structure yet defined, reserved for assignment by the IETF/IANA. That's reasonable -- could one of the RFC authors confirm that this is the intention?

Since I was the author of that particular language: Yes, that's the intention. Everything which has an @ character in it is for users (since the DNS gives us a handy, decentralized way of avoiding chaos and collisions in this case). If the @ character is not in there, there's right now no trivial way of avoiding collisions - short of registering notation tags with IANA (writing RFCs on them).

BTW, the idea was stolen from one of the SSH internet-drafts.

--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler(_at_)does-not-exist(_dot_)org>