Re: OpenPGP Sub Keys (Was: key flag for authentication)

2003-06-16 04:40:35

Greetings,

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:18:09 +0100, you wrote:

Imad R. Faiad wrote:
I would like to propose that signing sub keys be disallowed
in OpenPGP.

This would stop people keeping their master signing key on a more secure
offline machine, and using it to sign shorter-lifetime signing subkeys
which can be used on a day-to-day basis to sign messages :(

If you are so paranoid, why don't you keep all your PGP keys
in a "more secure offline machine" and use PGP solely on it?
Should you have a need for shorter-lifetime signing keys,
just generate master keys explicitly for that purpose.
As I understand it, sub keys are only justified in the following
circumstances:-
1) When the public key algorithm does not support encryption
(e.g. DSA).
2) In agreement with a school of thought, which recommends that
   it is good practice not to use the same key for signing and
   encryption.

(2) is vital in countries where decryption but not signature keys can be
seized by law enforcement agencies and others:
http://www.acsac.org/2000/papers/47.pdf

If indeed you have such needs, there is nothing to preclude from generating
two distinct keys, one for signing and the other for encryption.
Any other arguments beyond the above, are just
eccentricities, and will be better addressed by creating another key.

Another "eccentricity" I am fond of is short-lifetime encryption subkeys
that can be deleted once they have expired, reducing the impact of the
above-mentioned key seizure powers. I currently (manually) generate such
keys valid for one month; if I ever got round to automating this, I
would go for a week or less...
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA127BBD5

I think there is a very serious flaw in the OpenPGP WOT when
it comes to v4 keys, sub keys literally have blown a hole in it,
and created a nice backdoor resulting in what I call a Web of Mistrust...

Whatever one feels about sub keys, I think that this WOT
issue ought to be addressed.

my 2c

Best Regards

Imad R. Faiad