Re: Text "attributes"

2003-07-23 10:40:58

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:05:29 -0700 David Shaw <dshaw(_at_)jabberwocky(_dot_)com>
wrote:

An interesting problem came up on one of the GnuPG mailing lists
little while ago, and I thought I'd mention it here.

A vision-impaired user was using GnuPG via a text reader and mentioned
that photo IDs were obviously not going to be that useful to him.
The
idea came up of using an additional attribute subpacket to include
textual user ID together with the photo attribute subpacket (both
inside a single attribute ID), rather like the HTML "alt" tag is
used
to provide a text string for when an image can not be displayed.

It would be easy enough to do: just define attribute subpacket 2
as a
UTF8 string type.  Implementations could handle it however they
chose.

Note that I'm not necessarily suggesting this for 2440bis.  Just
something to think about in the future.

along those lines,
it might be helpful to such users to have an 'audio id'
(the key signer's greeting in his/her own voice, [possibly together with
a few other spoken sounds, enough to enable a text-to-speech synthesis
in that voice, so that the receiver can hear each pgp message read in
the voice of that sender]),

the text reader can do the implementation from the saved audio id attribute
(which can display the 'text' only attribute for deaf users who have
no use for the audio component)

for anyone interested in implementation specifically with the needs of
the disabled in mind,
here is a good site of helpful links:

http://www.wata.org/resource/highlighted_links.htm

with Respect,