Re: Back-signatures, part II

2003-10-30 15:03:46

At 03:20 PM 10/30/2003 -0500, David Shaw wrote:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:37:18AM -0800, Trevor Perrin wrote:

> In my scenario, a bunch of different primary key holders trust a
> single subkey holder to perform signatures on their behalf.  The
> subkey holder wants to make sure that each signature is attributed
> to the proper primary key.

I'm having trouble seeing the lack of this ability as a problem, much
less a problem that needs a fix.

It's always possible to come up with a (perhaps convoluted) situation
where any feature would be useful, and with all due respect, I think
this scenario crosses the convolution line.

Fair enough. The more useful scenario I was thinking of is where a single primary key is held by a server, which issues short-lived subkeys to different users, so they don't have to bother keeping a primary key secure.

But in that case, I think the "Signer's User ID" subpacket is sufficient to differentiate things.

Trevor