Re: Packets sequences

2004-03-16 09:41:40

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:30:58PM +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:

I would like to see the RFC strongly discourage arbitrary jumbling
and nesting of assorted packet types in favour of a single, clean
canonical encoding.  So instead of:

  ENCRYPTED( COMPRESS, COMPRESSED, COMPRESSED )

or somesuch there should just be a straightforward:

  ENCRYPTED( COMPRESS )

Explicitly allowing complex jumbles of packets seems to be just
asking for trouble/interop problems, particularly when there hasn't
been any strong need for them in the first 10 years or so of PGP's
existence.

I think this is a good idea.  I'm actually quite happy with the
grammar given in bis-09.  It's the same as the 2440 grammar with the
single change that you can have a run of literal packets.

Any implementation is of course free to be more liberal in what it
accepts, but I also see no need to explicitly allow arbitrary jumbling
and nesting especially since nobody has posted a reason why such
constructions are useful.

David