Re: re-consideration of TIGER

2004-08-18 16:19:08

Len Sassaman wrote:
On a different note, I'm also in favor of dropping backwards compatibility
with v3 in the spec, as I've mentioned before. This would also allow us to
easily drop MD5 from v4. I think any backwards compatibility is adequately
handled in the client implementations, and does not belong as a part of
the OpenPGP message format. (I.e., there are clients that offer S/MIME
compatibility, yet there's no reason for that to be part of this spec,
either. We already have RFC 1991.)

I'm in total agreement there.

With one caveat - the chair would have to ponder whether
"this late" in the spec there are major changes allowed.

Some mentioned that v3 may be compromised even more by
this recent message digest news, and if so, that would be
sufficient casus belli, IMHO, to seriously consider doing
such a major step.

iang

PS: I note the comment on DSA/DSS keys ... if the above
logic doesn't fly, I'd suspect there is no case to drop
those keys, but I'm listening :-)