Re: How to Calculate Signatures?

2005-04-03 11:37:16

Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
On Sunday 03 April 2005 18:41, Ben Laurie wrote:

Oh, yes. This left me with an unresolved issue: how does one use
SHA{256,384,512} with DSA (which requires a 160 bit hash).

Simple: you don't. DSA was designed to be used with SHA-1, which is 160 bit. Since SHA-1 is theoretically broken (practically will probably follow in a few months) one should see what the NIST makes of it. Supplanting a broken hash with another hash doesn't make much sense with DSA, since it does not contain the ID of the hash (as PKCS#1 does for RSA) - so any attacker could find a collission with the broken hash and then simply change the hash ID in the signature packet.

I would agree with that.  There was some discussion
on the user's list about an attempt at producing a
code path to use SHA256... which seemed to confuse
the issue.

Would it be a good idea to put in a statement
explicitly limiting OpenPGP's view of DSS to be
SHA1 only?  And add a comment perhaps that in the
light of weaknesses in SHA1, that RSA with a fatter
digest be used instead as a workaround?

(SHA1 will remain a current issue until "something
is done".  When it was debated a month back, did we
reach a consensus to do something about it?  I got
the feeling that we didn't, but I might be just
remembering one side.)

iang
--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/