Re: How to Calculate Signatures?

2005-04-03 12:59:35

Ben Laurie wrote:

Would it be a good idea to put in a statement
explicitly limiting OpenPGP's view of DSS to be
SHA1 only?  And add a comment perhaps that in the
light of weaknesses in SHA1, that RSA with a fatter
digest be used instead as a workaround?

The cost of that is that anyone with a DSA key is screwed. Seems like a last resort to me.

Anyone who has a DSA key now is screwed if:

   * the SHA1 hash is shown to be breached for:
      - pre-images, or
      - they have a collision-sensitive signature system,
   and,

   * the attacks are within reach by their attackers, and
   * they cannot change their document format, and
   * they cannot change to RSA, and
   * they cannot simply repudiate any false dox, and
   * they actually use DSA sigs for something important.

Seems like a tough list to me.  My systems use OpenPGP
sigs for real stuff (as opposed to just signing mail
because it exists there) and none of the above are
even remotely a threat that I can see.  Maybe I am
screwed, but seeing as I don't see how, I'm willing to
run that risk and maybe I'll find out :)

I personally don't see much merit in changing the situation
until something decent comes along.

iang
--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/