Freeh testimony mentioning ADK (Re: Signature Subpacket 10?)

2005-07-21 04:08:46

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:21:55PM -0700, Jon Callas wrote:
The notion was that it should go
in the standard, but that was politically charged
at the time - indeed Loius Freeh stood up in
front of Congress and used this very feature as
proof that it was possible to force all crypto
programs to escrow messages for the FBI...

No. That's completely false. I have no idea where you heard that, but
that's not at all true.

This is so false that the opposite is true. The FBI hated it because it
was a completely voluntary system with easy workarounds. The FBI hated
it, which is one of the amusing ironies about the thing.

Ian's right, you're wrong, it is true.

I definitely recall this event in testimony from Freeh being in the
news, using PGP's ADK/ARR/???  (several renames I forget all the
names) feature as an example of how key recovery was possible.

Probably you can dig it up with google and the right search terms.

Adam