Re: Signer's User ID

2005-07-21 04:47:51

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:39:32AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

Hello!

I'd like to have a clarification of the signature subpacket

  5.2.3.22. Signer's User ID

    (String)

    This subpacket allows a keyholder to state which User ID is
    responsible for the signing. Many keyholders use a single key for
    different purposes, such as business communications as well as
    personal communications. This subpacket allows such a keyholder to
    state which of their roles is making a signature.

    This subpacket is not appropriate to use to refer to a User
    Attribute packet.

It is not clear to me whether the string should be a verbatim copy of
the content of a User ID packet or some other information.  The second
paragraph could be viewed as a hint for a verbatim copy.

I suggested that second paragraph when I was documenting the user
attribute / photo ID stuff.  There are some problems using a Signer's
User ID with attribute IDs, both in size and in knowing how to parse
the thing.

A while back, I posted a proposal to fix this:

  http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg04775.html

David