Re: "The OpenPGP mail and news header" extenssion

2005-08-11 11:17:29
Ian G wrote:

>>> I'm not sure a "signencrypt" value is useful.  Thoughts?
>>

>> It makes it complete, but I agree with you. I do not see a reason why someone would like to receive encrypted unsigned message. Thus, I would assume that preference=encrypt also means that recipient wants to receive messages signed.
>

> Er, I hope not!  There are plenty of reasons to
> encrypt-only.  Until someone can define the meaning
> of a signature, my standard advice is to not sign,
> which I'd recommend for all email, IM and so forth.

I take it as that you advice to include preference=sign,encrypt

Out of curiosity, is there any difference between preference=sign,encrypt and preference=encrypt,sign ? I mean, does the order matter? Can you both sign encrypted message and encrypt signed message? (Where the later means that you can not verify signature until you decrypt the message)

David