Re: Interop grill-off

2005-09-20 11:32:57

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:33:37AM -0700, "Hal Finney" wrote:

Perhaps we should clarify the language in the RFC to eliminate any
such ambiguity.  5.2.3.5, the Issuer subpacket, just says:

    The OpenPGP key ID of the key issuing the signature.

We could add "If the signature is issued by a subkey then the key ID of
this subkey is used here instead of the key ID of the primary key."

We do have similar language in 5.2 for PKESKs:

      - An eight-octet number that gives the key ID of the public key
        that the session key is encrypted to. If the session key is
        encrypted to a subkey then the key ID of this subkey is used
        here instead of the key ID of the primary key.

I think that is reasonable, but it would need to be mentioned in
several places (in bis-14): 5.2.2 (V3 signatures), 5.2.3.5 (issuer
subpacket), and 5.4 (Onepass signature packet).  Perhaps something
could be said in 3.3 (Key IDs) that covers them all?

David