Re: Cleartext Signatures

2005-10-10 11:13:05

Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 03:30:29PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:

That mantra has shown to be a less than great idea recently, since it promotes interestingly obscure security holes, so I still would like to know what the correct behaviour is, and I'd like the I-D to accurately document that behaviour.

In that case, the empty line should be mandated,

I agree.

although distinguishing
between header data and base64 armor is quite straightforward and
unambiguous: headers always have colons in them, base64 armor never does.

This becomes less straightforward when you hit line length limits.

Thus, it should be impossible to derail a correct parser with a carefully
constructed header, though of course, it's easier to write the parser if one
assumes an empty line before the base64 data.

Mine does either (configurably).

Cheers,

Ben.