Re: Suggested changes for DSA2

2006-03-27 14:49:37

On 27 Mar 2006, at 7:44 AM, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:

I agree with David here. The standard's purpose is to ensure
interoperability. It should tell us the sematics behind sequences of bytes. It is up to the implementation to make decisions based on these semantics. Valid reasons to exclude certain combinations from the standard include ambiguity of interpretation, inherent insecurity or a wide installed base of incompatible implementations, but not the possibility of weird uses, IMHO.

I agree as well with both Davids.

As an observation, in 2440 one of the things we allowed was deviation from DSS because the rough consensus had a certain amount of grumpiness with the US Government. In practice, hardly anyone did anything different with DSA than DSS. We even removed hash functions.

Many things have changed in the last decade, but toeing the exact NIST line or even being like them only moreso is going a bit too far. In the next decade, we're going to see a lot of advancement in hash functions. Someone is going to want to use those new hash functions with DSA, and it would be nice to be able to move faster than NIST.

Let's suppose someone comes up with a new hash function that is 251 bits. (I picked 251 because it's prime and less than 256.) We don't want a constitutional crisis over using it. We want to be flexible enough that it's pretty obvious how to extend OpenPGP to use new hash functions with DSA.

        Jon