Re: Camellia for OpenPGP

2007-04-24 02:19:34

Rodney Thayer <rodney(_at_)canola-jones(_dot_)com> writes:

Simon Josefsson wrote:

So it appears that you don't need a license, somewhat like the situation
with IBM and DES.

I would think you still need to make sure it's
been properly documented with the IETF that there's a patent.
It sounds like that's not quite been done.  If people want to
push this (as informational...) then it should have it's act together.

There have been "submarine patent" issues in the past, especially
in the crypto area, so some people are sensitive about this.

I've found some notifications regarding this:

IPSEC:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=771
http://www1.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/mitsubishi-ntt-joint-ipr-disclosure.pdf

S/MIME:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=133
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/ntt-mitsubishi-ipr-camellia.txt

TLS:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=41
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/NTT-MITSUBISHI-CAMELLIA

I don't know if there is a bug in the IETF IPR search page or in the
NTT/Mitsubishi's disclosures which cause the above to not be found
when searching for the following RFCs:

jas(_at_)mocca:~/rfc$ grep -i camellia rfc-index.txt
3657 Use of the Camellia Encryption Algorithm in Cryptographic Message
3713 A Description of the Camellia Encryption Algorithm. M. Matsui, J.
4132 Addition of Camellia Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security
4312 The Camellia Cipher Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec. A. Kato, S.
jas(_at_)mocca:~/rfc$

The disclosures appear to only give rights for IPSEC, S/MIME and TLS,
respectively.  It seems that another disclosure is required to be able
to use Camellia in OpenPGP.  It may be simpler to grant the right to
use Camellia for any use instead...

/Simon