nagydani(_at_)epointsystem(_dot_)org (Daniel A. Nagy) writes:
What is the next step for OpenPGP? V5 key format? Stream ciphers?
Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:
So now that we have 4880 out, is it now again the time to think about
interop tests and draft status?
Very good questions. We have a number of items that have come up
before and been tabled. This work includes (but is not limited to):
* V5 keys
* Plausible Deniability
* Additional Ciphers
* Updates to PGP/MIME
But before we decide to take on more work, there are a number of
questions we have to ask ourselves. The first question is: what's in
our charter and would we need to be rechartered to take on this
additional work? The second question is: are there enough people
interested in doing the work (editors, reviewers, implementors) to
warrant remaining open? Third: Can we get AD approval to continue?
By my reading of the charter, all these work items could be in scope
if there's enough interest in it. So I don't think we need to
recharter (yet we DO need to submit new milestones based on whatever
work we attempt to take on). However questions 2 and 3 still remain.
So now is the time to speak up and submit your drafts so we can show
the AD that there's enough interest to continue working, and that we
have a plan.
As for interop and draft status.... I think if someone wants to host
an OpenPGP implementor get-together that would be just fine. To make
it an official "interoperability" event we'd need some sort of test
plan, and someone to write up all the results from all the tests.
Taking 2440 to DRAFT would require at last 6 months, plus this test
plan that shows valid interop testing on every feature in 4880. Any
-derek, your humble wg-chair.
Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
Computer and Internet Security Consultant